a portal to the museum world - free access to all

HOME | MUSEUMS & ART CENTERS: Alphabetical | GEOGRAPHIC LOCATIONS | MAIN CATEGORIES | ALL CATEGORIES (over 430) |

we welcome your comments, suggestions and inquiries:
contact us


Add a Museum or an Art Center to MuseumRegister
Listing is free

About us:
MuseumRegister.com is a division of:
ArtRegister Network™:
artregisternetwork.com

artregister.com
artistregister.com
artregisterpress.com
artnewschannel.net
museumregister.com

ArtRegister Network™
PO Box 256
New York NY 10028-0003
Tel.: 212.327.0401
e-mail:
info@museumregister.com

 

Louisiana Museums: Alphabetical List | Louisiana History | Historic Plantation House

Kent Plantation House
Alexandria, Louisiana
, U.S.A
Historic House Plantation Museum - Louisiana History
no photograph is currently available

Kent Plantation House is the oldest standing structure in central Louisiana. It was completed in 1800. Kent House took its place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
With its gardens and slave cabins, plantation kitchen and barn, among other dependencies, the site depicts the history of central Louisiana from 1795 through 1855.


Location
3601 Bayou Rapides Road
Alexandria, Louisiana
one block west of U.S. 71/165/167 (MacArthur Drive)

Tel.: 318.487.5998 | Fax: 318.442.4154
E-mail: admin@kenthouse.org

Hours
Open Monday through Saturday from 9 am - 5 pm

Admission
Adults $6.00, Seniors $5.00, Military AAA Members: $5.00, Children 6-12 $2.00

For additional information, visit the Kent Plantation House official Web site: www.kenthouse.org


About the Plantation
Kent Plantation House is the oldest standing structure in central Louisiana. Completed in 1800, it was constructed of hand-hewn cypress, handmade brick, and bousillage, the mixture of clay and Spanish moss that packs the timbered walls. The raised Creole building’s second owners added its distinctive flanking pavilions in the 1840s. The house survived not only the Civil War, but a 1963 demolition plan, when citizens raised funds to move the house a few blocks from its original location.

Fully restored and furnished with Federal, Sheraton, and Empire pieces, as well as the work of early Louisiana cabinetmakers, Kent House took its place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. With its gardens and slave cabins, plantation kitchen and barn, among other dependencies, the site depicts the history of central Louisiana from 1795 through 1855.


With our thanks to the Kent Plantation House and Carolyn Breedlove Executive Director for providing the information