The Maritime Industry Museum is housed on the campus of
the State University of New York (SUNY) Maritime College
at historic Fort Schuyler, The Bronx, New York.
The museum was established in 1986 when Capt. Jeffrey
Monroe, a former Associate Professor of Transportation
at the Maritime College, with the help of Jack Hayes,
a 1947 engineer graduate of the college. Since then, steamship
lines, related companies in the maritime industry, and
merchant marine history buffs donated objects and artifacts
to supplement the museum collection.
museum offers one of the largest collections of maritime
industry materials in the nation and is displayed chronologically.
main exhibit area located on the second floor is entitled
"The Evolution of Seafaring" and encompasses the history
of seafaring from the ancient Phoenicians to present day
steamship companies and passenger ship lines. Exhibits
in the area include paintings, models of early sailing
vessels, clipper ships, turn of the century vessels up
to and including the present day, as well as tools and
navigational instruments of bygone days to modern times.
museum collection serves as a depository for maritime
industry books, periodicals, documents, papers, prints,
photographs, and old steamship company records.
University of New York Maritime College Campus
6 Pennyfield Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465
- donations accepted
Tel.: 718.409.7218 | Fax: 718.409.6130