The original wooden lighthouse was established in 1827.
In 1906, it was replaced by a new 35 ft red brick tower
and moved about 700 ft southwest of the old light. It
remained actively manned until 1934 when the USCG discontinued
the lighthouse and erected the current one.
The lighthouse is located on the northeasterly side of
Fort Schuyler, southeasterly end of Throgs Neck and on
the northerly side of the entrance from Long Island Sound
into the East River.